Saturday, July 24, 2010

Time Out

I have started putting Sophia in time out when she throws her little fits. When she starts to throw a fit, I take her by the hand and walk her to her room and shut the door. I wait by the door until she is done crying and then she will open her door and look at me and wait for me to say something like if you are done crying and can be happy you can come out. I then walk away and she comes out happy (most of the time). If she starts to throw a fit after she gets out of her room, we repeat the process. She knows now that when I start walking her to her room what is happening and most of the time she will stop crying before we get to her room.

We have been doing time out like this for about 2 weeks now and the last couple of days, she has actually put herself in time out. If she starts whining a little bit and I just ignore her because she really isn't throwing a fit, she has come up to me, taken my hand and walked me back to her to room. Once we get in her room, she pushes me out the door and shuts the door herself and then opens it a few seconds later waiting for me to tell her it's OK for her to come out of her room.

The first time she did that, I was a little confused at what she was doing and why she was wanting me to come to her room only to push me out once I was there. But now I know, she is putting herself in time out for crying! Glad to know that time out seems to be working and she is getting the general idea of what happens when she cries!

2 comments:

I'm Dani said...

That's too cute! What a smart girl...

Mandy said...

Wow, I wish my kids were this responsive to my methods of discipline. Share your secrets, please.