Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Potty Trained!!

Well, I think it is safe to say that Sophia is finally all potty trained. After about a year of trying, and I use that term loosely. My heart wasn't in it very much, so when I did try and she just fought me, I just gave up for awhile and would put her back in diapers which she was content to do.
Last week when my in-laws were here, Wendy took it upon her self to potty train Sophia for me while Chris and I went on our trip. Sophia was good as gold for her. Didn't fight her when grandma asked her to go potty like she did me. It probably also helped that Grandma gave her 3 Swedish fish when she did go potty. She got one for going potty, one for flushing and one for washing her hands. Sophia didn't have any accidents while I was gone. She even went poo right before I got home and earned like 8 fish for that.
Since grandma left, Sophia has only had about 2 accidents, but she is still back to fighting me about going potty when I ask her every once in awhile. She can hold it almost all day long before she decides that she needs to go.
Sophia has remarked several times after she has gone poo, "Gwamma would be so proud of me!"
Sometimes Aaron can get her to go when I can't. They have been playing "robot" lately. Aaron is the controller and Sophia is the robot. Aaron will tell her to go do something and she will. One day, I wanted her to go potty and she wouldn't, so Aaron says "Mom, I will make her go." He the went over to Sophia and said "lets play robot." "OK" was her response. So, Aaron got out his remote control and said "Robot, go potty." And she did just like that. I couldn't believe it. It doesn't work every time, but he likes to try. Of course, Aaron then thinks he deserves a fish for making her go potty. Maybe that's why he likes to play robot with her, to make her go potty.
 A couple of nights in a row now, Sophia has woken up with a dry diaper, so I decided I might as well start letting her sleep in undies.
So, the last 3 nights she has woken up dry and very proud of herself that she didn't wet her bed. It is very nice to have only one kid in diapers now. Since Sophia has been using the potty, Eli has been very interested in trying to use the potty as well. Sometimes he goes when I put him on it, and other times he doesn't. But he thinks he needs a Swedish fish too every time he sits on the potty and every time Sophia does too. Aaron has complained that he doesn't get fish every time he goes potty. So I had to explain to him that he got treat when he was learning to go potty and that he doesn't need them now because he knows what to do. But he does have a very nice sister who shares one of her fish with him.
I owe a big thanks to Grandma Wendy! If she hadn't come to visit, Sophia would still be in diapers.  Thanks for all that you do! We love you!


4 comments:

Mrs. Dan Brown said...

Potty training = no fun! Bells does not want to go on the potty but she freaks out every time she's wet or number 2! It's so annoying!!! I lucked out with Madison and Hannah...Madi taught herself and then she taught Hannah. I didn't do anything.

A*Waite said...

Potty training is a slow go at our house. Does Grandma Wendy want to come spend a week with us?

Congrats Sophie! And mom!
Amber

The Dwelley's said...

I need Aunt wendy to Potty train Addi :) I can't wait till we are out of diapers. Good job Sophia!!!!

Patti said...

That is so exciting!! We are still trying to convince Mari to be done with diapers, but no luck yet. Hopefully soon. I'm really excited for you guys though!