Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Funeral & A Blessing

My Uncle Joe, who had Down Syndrome and lived with my family for the last 18 years passed away on November 3rd. I am sad that he is gone, but happy that he is no longer confined by his disabled body. The funeral was this past Saturday and we made the quick trip up to Coeur d'Alene for the weekend. I am so glad we decided to go because all of my siblings were there and all 8 of us haven't been together since Chris and I got married 5 1/2 years ago. It was fun to see all of them and to hear their memories about Joe.
When we went to the viewing, Aaron had lots of "why" questions and my mom tried to answer all of them. I think he did understand that Joe wasn't going to be at my parents house anymore and that he was living with his parents in heaven now.
It is still weird to think that Joe is gone and that he won't be at my parents house whenever we go visit. Over the weekend when we were there, I always thought that he was going to come out of his room and go sit in his chair in the living room.
I am glad that I had the opportunity to live with Joe for so long. He holds a special place in my heart.
Here is a picture of my family. It isn't a very good picture, but oh well!


Since my family was all together this weekend, I decided that it would be a good time to bless Sophia. So, my wonderful mom, made Sophia's blessing dress in two days in the midst of making all the funeral arragements and having all the family over. She is the best. She said that making the dress was a good diversion for her from everything else that was going on.

All my brothers and my dad were able to stand in with Chris and his dad to give Sophia her blessing. It was so nice to be able to have all my brothers there.


I was finally able to get a picture of Sophia smiling. She has lots of smiles to share especially just after she eats! Sorry the picture is a little bit dark.

6 comments:

Jason and Candace said...

look how big she has gotten!! wow its amazing how fast they grow. Sorry to hear about Joe! But you got some pretty cute pics!

Stephanie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Uncle. That's great that you had a family reunion, and to have all of your family at her blessing is awesome! I can't believe your mom put that dress together in 2 days! Wow! She is adorable, what a cute smile.

The Dwelley's said...

It is always a mixture of sad and happy on those days. Your family is so big. And Sophi is so cute. I love her smile.

Tiffany J said...

I'm sorry to hear about your uncle! This post is a great example of the plan....we come to this earth to get our bodies (baby) and when we die our bodies are left but are spirits are free just like your uncle. I'm sorry for your loss.

On a lighter note Sophia's smile is ADORABLE! How is it having a little girl? Are they sugar and spice and all things nice? ha ha Both of your kids are super cute!

Kevin and Missa said...

Sorry to hear about your loss but it is neat to hear that he doesnt have a dissability anymore... I have two aunts that have severe disabilities and I think the same thing... I think of how fun it will be in the second coming to finally be able to talk to her and actually hear her speak... i cant wait... well i can cuz I have a lot of work to do!!! but you know!!

Porter Family said...

It's nice to be around all the family when that stuff happens. I'm glad you got to bless Sophia with everyone there.