Thursday, January 21, 2010

Family Home Evening

On Monday, I had Aaron be in charge of the lesson. So, he picked out a picture from our gospel art kit and his job was to tell us what it was about. He picked the picture of Christ visiting the Nephites. This is about how his lesson went:

"This is Jesus visiting the Nephites after he died." Then I helped him explain a little bit more about what happened during Jesus' visit
Very simple, but he was so excited to be the one doing the lesson. I am glad that he loved doing. Almost every night since then he has wanted to pick out a picture and tell us about it.

Later that night when it was bedtime, he was whining about not wanting to go to bed because he said that he "has bad dreams." So, I sat down with him and told him all he had to do was say a prayer and ask that he not have bad dreams. He said, "But mom Jesus won't listen to me." Then I had to explain that Jesus does answer our prayers we just have to ask for help. I left it at that and left his room for him to get his jammies on and a few minutes later he came out and said "Mom, I talked with Jesus. I asked him to not let me have bad dreams."
So, the next morning when he woke up excited and said "mom, I didn't have any bad dreams last night! Jesus listened to me!"
I am glad that Aaron is learning at a young age that his prayers are answered and he can take any problem to the Lord and he will get answers.

4 comments:

Patti said...

That is such a cool story. Ryan has been learning how to say prayers before he goes to bed too for the same reason. It is neat to see that they are learning that already!

Stephanie said...

That is cute! We use the gospel art kit a lot for family home evening too, they love to pick them out. That is really neat that Aaron recognized his prayer being answered.

I'm Dani said...

That's so sweet. Don't moments like that make you feel good. Like "yes! he is listening, and I'm doing something right!"

The Dwelley's said...

What a good mom :) And I love the picture idea. I may take that idea for our family nights. I get tired of doing them all the time myself :)