Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Trip Up North

This last week was my mom's 60th birthday! The night before her birthday, I decided last minute to drive up the next morning with the kids to surprise her for her birthday. I was a bit nervous making the 7 1/2 hour drive (which really took us about 9 because of all the stops I had to make with a crying baby and Aaron having to use the bathroom) by myself with the 2 kids, but we made it OK and my mom was very surprised and happy to see us! If I had planned more in advance, I would have tried to get a big party together for her, but it was just me and the kids, my dad and my two brothers and their kids that were there for her birthday cake and ice cream. It was a fun trip. We stayed up there for 5 days. Aaron had lots of fun playing with his cousins. He also had fun playing with the grandparents. Grandma Wendy tried teaching him how to play baseball. He was able to hit the ball a couple of times. Several times he told me that he wasn't going to go home with me and that he lived his grandparents now. I am glad that he has such a great time with his grandparents and is able to know them. I never grew up with grandparents so it is fun for me for my kids to have grandparents.

At my parents house, Aaron kind of got attached to this baby doll that my mom had when she was about 10 years old. I have no idea why he liked it so much and why he wanted to sleep with it every night. It has seen better days. It is missing a leg, some of its hair is pulled out and some of the plastic is a bit faded. But he still loved it!

I also got my hair cut while I was up there. I am not sure how I feel about it yet. Here is a before and after (self portraits are not the nicest things). Chris isn't very crazy about it. He said that he likes my hair a bit longer. I don't think that I will ever cut my hair this short again though. I am now forced to do it every morning instead of just pulling it back in a pony tail. Sometimes that is more convenient! :) Anyways, was had a great trip and the drive back didn't take as long as driving up, thank goodness. Sophia was much happier on the drive home and didn't cry very much. I am glad to be home and now I have lots of work to catch up on outside - like weeding the garden - ugh!

9 comments:

Mrs. Dan Brown said...

I think you're hair looks so cute!

I'm Dani said...

That sounds so fun. I LOVE your hair, I think it looks great.

The Dwelley's said...

I like your hair cut. It is true short hair you must always do. I have found a love for hats on those I have no time to do my hair days:) But I am use to short hair. It has always been short. Can't wait to see you guys in July. Your gonna come for the wedding right???

Jolyn said...

I think your hair cut is really cute. The only pain is, yes, you do have more maintaining to do. And then when it's growing out it seems like for-ev-er before you can pull it all back in a ponytail.

Jason and Candace said...

i totally like it short, its fun and sassy!!! good for you!!!

Cathy and Bob Sampert said...

We also think your short hair is really cute! Looks like you guys are having fun and that's both hilarious that Aaron got so attached to the doll with one leg and really sweet that he wanted to stay with his grandparents and live there... that pic with the doll will come in handy when you need some blackmail in the teen years! :)

Stephanie said...

Cute hair! I think it is always fun to cut it short and then grow it out again. I'm sorry I missed you in Boise, we didn't stay as long as originally planned because my mom had a partial hip transplant and we stayed with my sister who got married and helped take care of her kids while she went on her honeymoon. Anyway, it was a busy trip. So hopefully next time!

Tiffany J said...

Ok your short hair so SO chic! It totally brings out your eyes and your awesome cheek bones! You're a very sassay momma now!

I am also very impressed with your 9 hour drive solo! Good for you! I'm glad you were able to see family! That's always fun!

Monsivais Family said...

I love the hair CUT!! It looks great..