Friday, July 15, 2011

Dry Pack Canning

Earlier this week, my parents were in town and they helped me do some dry pack canning for my food storage. We canned about 500 lbs of food! It was pretty fun and quick to do.
Here is what we canned:
Potato Flakes - 25 lbs
Oatmeal - 75 lbs
Wheat - 177 lbs
Rice - 50 lbs
Beans - 72 lbs
Flour - 50 lbs
Sugar 50 lbs
It feels so good to add more to my food storage. We are getting close in having 1 year supply of the essentials! Now, I need Chris to build me my food storage room, so I have a proper place to store it all!
The kids really liked trying to help! Aaron helped pour stuff into the cans and helped Grandpa with the machine and Sophia just liked running her (clean) fingers through the food.




4 comments:

Jolyn said...

That's awesome. I have no idea how to can so my Relief Society prez and I have started a canning club. We'll meet once a month on a Saturday morning and can. Each member will take a turn hosting and we're all really excited! Can't wait to get started. Our first meeting will be the 30th so I'll have to blog about it. Haven't blogged in so long but this is blogworthy for sure! Awesome job Katrina!

Stephen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmmaJ said...

You are such a great example. I wish I knew more about canning and had room to store it.

Tiffany J said...

I'm so jealous!! that's awesome!!!