Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chore Chart

About a week ago, I decided that my kids needed a chore chart to tell them what they needed to be doing at different times of the day. I was getting tired of reminding them over and over again what needed to be done. So, I came up with this:



 I printed off a picture of each kid and found clip art pictures of chores that I want them to do and laminated them and put little magnets on the back of them. I have them do things like; set the table, clear their dishes and put them in the sink, go potty, get dressed, comb hair, eat breakfast/lunch/dinner, brush teeth, laundry, unload dishwasher, pick up toys, make bed, help with baby and go to bed. Aaron has a couple specific chores for himself like, go school, do homework, practice the piano, take glasses on/off and read.

Above their pictures, I have the day of the week with a specific thing that we are going to do that night. Sunday is music night, Monday is family night, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday are bath nights, Wednesday is story night and Friday is movie night. I also have a picture of someone saying a prayer and scriptures so they know that we do those everyday too.


We have been doing this for a week and so far they are still excited to see what they have to do. Every night after they go to bed, I put up their morning chores and what they next day will be and when they remove them when they are done, I put up afternoon chores and after they are done, I put up bedtime chores. It is so nice not to have to remind them what to do next. When Sophia is done doing one thing, she will remove it and then repeat what she has left to do and pick one and then go do it and comes back and repeats everything again.
Eli doesn't really get it, so I help him. We look at the fridge to see what he has to do and then I help him with a chore if he needs help and then we go back to the fridge and point to a picture and asks him if he did that. Then I pick him up so he can remove his chore from the list.
I am glad I decided to do this. It helps them to have some sort of routine during the day and to know what we will be doing every night after dinner. Every morning Sophia will ask me "What day is it today?"  and I know she is asking what we will be doing that night.
For music night on Sunday, I wrote out a whole bunch of songs from the children's songbook and other silly songs and put them all in a bag and they got to pick out what song we were going to sing. I would play the piano as they sang and Chris would play the guitar. They really enjoyed doing that.
For story night on Wednesday night, I checked out a whole bunch of books from the library and we sit and read stories for about an hour before bed time.
They really love Friday night, movie night, because I usually let them have popcorn while they watch a movie!

1 comments:

Mandy said...

That's a fantastic chore chart. My kids do so much better on their chores when they can see the progress they are making on their charts. One thing you did that I think is great, is including fun things not just work. Way to go positive reinforcement. You are such a great mom.