Monday, March 24, 2008

Working on the house

This past week, Chris' parents came down and started helping Chris work on the house. There is a lot to be done!


They had to pull all the carpet out because the previous owners had cats and dogs that peed on the carpet and it just stank. My job this week is to seal all the floors so that the odor stays trapped and out come out.

We are in the process of redoing one of the bathrooms. We needed a new bathtub and we found one that we wanted at a bathroom store that only sold to contractors at discounted prices. So, I went down to the store and sat in the parking lot and waited until a contractor came to buy supplies. I approached him and asked him if he would be willing to buy a certain bathtub for me at his discounted price and that I had cash for him to use to buy it. The guy just smiled at me and said sure and said he wouldn't even charage me to do it for me. What a super nice guy!
Chris was really impressed that I did that. I was impressed with myself too because as most of you know that I'm not that outgoing.

We have one bedroom all textured and ready to paint and hopefully we will get another one ready to paint soon.

I went out and bought a new refridgerator and washer and dryer last week. It was tough to spend that amount of money, but we needed them. I bought a front loading washer, which I am excited to start using. No more using our old washer, that gets off balanced even with small loads and no more using our dryer which takes an hour or so to dry a small load.

Last week while Chris' parents were working, they left for a lunch break and locked the house and when they came back they discovered that someone had broken in and stole some tools. Wendy talked to the neighbors and they all said that they didn't see anything while they were gone. The neighbors all seemed to think that it would have had to have been someone associated with the previous owners because of how they got into the house. In the back there was a makeshift cat/dog door that would have been easy to crawl through and unlock the door that way. Chris and put something in front of the door so that a draft wouldn't come through and all that was pushed aside and the door left open after they left. Wendy even called the realtor about it and he even seemed to think that it would have had to have been someone who knew the house. So, Ron had to go out and buy lots of new tools so that they could keep working. And they went out and bought all new locks for the doors! Something we probably should have done at the beginning, but never really thought too much about it.

We have met some of our neighbors and they all are really glad that the previous owners moved and that we are moving in and are fixing the place up.

We will be moving out of our apartment and into the house this weekend. So, I will be busy packing and cleaning our apartment too. Moving into the house will be an interesting experience for me I think. The house is still really dirty and messy, but what can you expect when you are doing lots of work to it. Hopefully after we get the floors sealed that it won't smell really bad any more. Most everything will stay in boxes expect for limited kitchen stuff and clothing and bedding until the upstairs is looking good. It is going to be a long process, but it will be worth it in the end.

I will post pictures of the changes as we go along, so you can see what we have been doing!

Aaron helping Grandpa sand the walls.

3 comments:

EmmaJ said...

I can't believe you asked that contractor! That was gutsy! I could never do that. And I am sorry about some one breaking into the house already. You should set up Home Alone style booby traps (like the hanging paint cans) whenever you leave the house!

The Dwelley's said...

Aaron and grandpa that is just like when we were little. Helping uncle Ron and aunt Wendy. Take lots of pictures they will be fun memories to look back on.

Cathy and Bob Sampert said...

That's so awesome that you're transforming your new house but I'm so sorry some jerks broke in! I'm glad you changed all the locks so they can't get in again! Good luck with everything! It'll be a little bit better each day and how cool to see what you've done! Way to go on asking that contractor too!