SOPHIA MARIE COCKRELL
October 9, 2008
8:59 p.m.
9 lbs. 1oz.
21 3/4 inches
For those of you who are interested here is the birth story. Most of you know that I was planning on having a VBAC (vaginal birth after Cesarean). When I starting my weekly doctor appointments leading up to the due date, every time the doctor checked me out, there was no change in my cervix. At my last scheduled appointment there was still no change, so we discussed my options and the doctor felt like my cervix wasn't going to soften anytime soon on its own, so I went ahead and scheduled a c-section for October 14th if my body didn't go into labor on its own. (this was on the 7th). I was a little bumbed about the decision, but relieved that there was going to be an end in sight.
Early Thursday morning (the 9th), at 2:30 my water broke. Talk about an interesting experience. I always wondered what it would feel like, now I know! So, we called the neighbor down the street to come stay with Aaron and we were off to the hospital. When the nurses checked me out, I was dilated to only 1 1/2 and 70% effaced. At about 8 a.m. I was started on a little bit of pit at a time to help things move along. It took me all day to dilate and finally around 7:15 pm the doctor said I was ready to push. I pushed for about an hour before the doctor told me that she didn't think I was going to be able to push the baby past my pelvic bone. She said that for about the last 1/2 hour I had been trying to push the baby past the bone. She was willing to let me keep trying to push, but the baby was big and my bones were too small. So, the decision was made to do a c-section. I was so mad and upset, but after calming down I felt good about the decision and everthing after that went well. My recovery so far has been a lot better than it was with Aaron, so I am very grateful for that.
Aaron loves his baby sister! He was so excited when he come to hospital the first time. He was glad that she was out of my stomach. At first he wouldn't call her anything but baby sister, but when we got home from the hospital the first thing he said was "my baby sophie is home!" He loves to hold her and doesn't like it when she cries. He always asks us to hold her when she cries and he covers his ears! He is a great big brother so far! :)
![]() |
| Make a Smilebox slideshow |

19 comments:
What a sweet baby! I'm sorry you didn't get your VBAC but you should be proud that you did all you could and made it so far! How can such a petite person like you have such a big baby? I can see why that would have been a challenge to get her out. She looks so healthy and is adorable. Congratulations!
Congrats!!! We are so happy for you guys!!! She is soo pretty!!!
CONGRATS! She is adorable, and she looks so chubby and healthy, how exciting! The photos of Aaron and Sophie are so precious.
What a cute, cute baby!! I like her best once she's all cleaned up.:) She's so sweet, and she looks like her big brother is already doing a good job of taking care of her. Congratulations, Chris and Katrina! And it was fun to see your mom in the pictures, Chris! Tell Wendy hi for me!
Love the name you guys picked out. Did you name her after me?:) I know I have always been Chris's favorite cousin. She is one cute baby girl. I love her cheeks. I'm glad mom and baby are doing well. It is good to have lots of help around. Aaron won't feel to left out Candace will spoil him. :)
Sorry you didn't get your VBAC, but I'm very glad to hear your recovery has been better this time. Sophia is beautiful, and Aaron had a better reaction than Atley did to a new sibling, so congratulations on that too! You'll love watching them play together, and watching big brother love the baby and help out! Congratulations! Love, Kalia
Congratulations Katrina!! She is so cute. I'm sorry things didn't go the way you wanted with your delivery, but the most important thing is that little Sophia is here and healthy. Aaron looks so excited too. Hurray!
Oh my! That is a huge little pumpkin. No wonder you had a tough time pushing her out. She is half your size J/K! She is super cute. Congratulations. I like the name too BTW.
Congrats! She's so beautiful and so big! I love the name too....I voted for Sophia. Good luck to a speedy recovery!
Congratulations! I think I would have begged not to deliver a 9lb baby. Your a tough cookie!
Congratulations!!! She is beautiful and what a beautiful name. I am sorry that you had such a delivery but glad to hear that you are doing well. Congratulations again.
The Crummetts
Katrina, she is precious! I'm so excited for you. Little girls are so much fun.
Congratulations Katrina! I'm so glad everything went well for you, even if it wasn't exactly how you wanted it. Your kids could not be cuter! We miss you & hope you're doing well. Have fun with that beautiful baby. :)
Congrats! We were excited to see the update on your growing family. We also have a Sophia, so we were partial to that name! Yea!
Yeah, Yeah! I'm glad she is here! And I'm glad your recovery has been better - it must be difficult to have a C-section. Hopefully you'll be up and around soon!
CONGRATULATIONS! Love the name! You guys did good and pictures already? I"m so impressed! She's healthy and beautiful! She looks a tich like Aaron...maybe it's the eyes?
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
Wow! That was a long day for you! From her picture Sophia LOOKS big! She does look a lot like Aaron! She is beautiful! My favorite picture is the brother and sister one, how cute!!! That's too bad about the C-section, but you have a great attitude about it, good job! Congratulations and get well soon!
Congrats, love you guys!!
Post a Comment