Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Pumpkin Bakes

Today I felt like baking stuff with pumpkin in it. First we started off with some pumpkin pancakes and then I made some pumpkin cinnamon rolls. They tasted pretty good, so I thought I would share the recipes.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns
2 Tbs. yeast
1/2 cup warm water
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
1 cup canned pumpkin 1
cup warm milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 each of instant vanilla & butterscotch pudding
1 tsp. salt
7-8 cups flour
Filling
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
Icing
3 Tbs. water 2 Tbs. butter, softened
1 tsp. cinnamon 2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
In a large mixing bowl, disslove yeast in warm water. Add the eggs, shortening, pumpkin, milk, sugars, pudding mixes, salt and 6 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticking).
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to 1/2 of the edges.
Roll up. cut into 12 slices. Place on a greased cooking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 for 22-28 minutes. Mix up icing ingredients and spread over buns. Makes 2 dozen.
Toasty Pumpkin Waffles
1 cup flour
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
4 1/2 tsp. butter melted
Combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk in egg, milk, pumpkin and butter; stir in dry ingredients until blended.
Bake in waffle iron until golden brown.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those cinnamon rolls sound good, I've never had pumpkin ones before. So, are they really worth it?

Unknown said...

They were good. Lighter than the normal cinnamon rolls I make. I didn't tast too much of the pumpkin though for some reason. They were still really good. Aaron even liked them and he says he doesn't like any type of bread!

Kathy said...

These sound really good Katrina! I'll have to try them out!